Pages

Friday, August 10, 2012

The Island

A New Day - written by Davy Rasmussen
Song Lyrics
I've taken the little pill they prescribed so I should be relaxed now.   I lay my head back in the dentist chair and listen to the footsteps patter behind me as I try to focus on the light classical music being pumped into the sterile white room.   The assistant comes in and slips on my face a pair of sunglasses that looks like something Elton John would have worn in the 70's, she covers my hair with a piece of plastic that resembles something between what a  food worker would wear and a shower cap.   To top off my morning attire, I am draped with a polka dot cloth from head to toe.   I'm singing to myself... "I'm sexy and I know it".    The nurse swabs my mouth from top to bottom with some numbing cream, hooks me up to a heart, oxygen and blood pressure monitor and says "the Doc will be in here soon".  

A few minutes later I hear "hey man, glad you made it.   Are you ready to do some work on those gums of yours".   There were a few things I needed to talk with him about before we got started.  I opened my mouth and all that came out was "blaa blaallsl shahsa;ljas  aoooooaalo"   He and the nurse laughed.  "Looks like the numbing cream is working.  Let's get some novocain in you and then we'll follow that up with a little sedative IV drip, so open wide.  Say AHH"   I felt the first prick of the needle in my mouth, but didn't feel any of the 12 others.  I felt the IV go in and then the Doc looked over at the assistant and said, "this music has got to go. "  He looked down at me and said " How about a little classic Rock?"   By this time the only thing that I could make my body do was to pull my hand out from under the gown and give a big thumbs up.   "Right on" he says and then I drift away to Led Zeppelin singing "Whole Lotta Love".   I hear him say "Open wide for me" and I would try to come back to the room and be semi conscious every time he would say something like that, but for the most part I just closed my eyes and took a wonderful journey during my operation.

 I wish I could remember everywhere my mind traveled.   I dipped in and out of so many thoughts and dunked my head into countless pools of possibilities.  It became overwhelming at times and sometimes it felt like I was lost and running in circles in a dark forest of my past and future things and then something suddenly would lift me up above the trees and a gush of peace would blast me in the face.  From this vantage point I could see that everything was in order and all I needed to do was to calm myself, relax and just continue moving in the flow.  

Somehow during the journey I landed on a little island where all I could hear was my breath coming in and going out.  It was so soothing.  Just the rhythm of my air and the steady beat of my heart.  I smiled knowing that these two simple sounds are the core to my existence.   I laid there for what seemed to be days and finally I stood and said to myself  "This is where I must start from.  I must be the change.  It's a new day".     I walked into the water and as it encircled my neck, my feet began to float and I started to swim.  "Open your mouth a little wider for me David"  I heard in the distance, but I kept swimming.  One inhale, one exhale, one stroke, one kick at a time.   Nothing but me, the ripples of water flanking off my body and the words "it's a new day" going over and over in my mind and finally my toes touch sand.   I felt my body being lifted up and as my eyes slowly opened I could see the doctor smiling.  " Everything looks great.  I'll see you back in about a week....".  I tried to interrupt him and tell him about my "out of body adventure" and all I could get out was "blaa blaallsl shahsa;ljas  aoooooaalo"  He and the nurse get a good chuckle and he walks out of the room saying " don't worry, that will wear off soon."  He steps back in a few moments later " Oh, you may have some pain for a few days while you recover so I'll write you up a little prescription."   I smile and think to myself  " HEL-LO Island.... I'll be back soon".

1 comment:

  1. lol..I've had a few of those in the Dentist's chair. Super special private moments leave me with peace and smiles.

    ReplyDelete